C++ Teaching

You left industry to become an academic. Why?

Bjarne: Actually, I haven’t completely left industry, because I maintain a link to AT&T Labs as an AT&T fellow, and spend much time each year with industry people. I consider my connection with industry essential because that’s what keeps my work anchored in reality.

I went to Texas A&M University as a professor five years ago because (after almost 25 years in “The Labs”) I felt a need for a change and because I thought I had something to contribute in the area of education. I also entertained some rather idealistic ideas about doing more fundamental research after my years of very practical research and design. Much computer science research is either too remote from everyday problems (even from conjectured future everyday problems), or so submerged in such everyday problems that it becomes little more than technology transfer. Obviously, I have nothing against technology transfer (we badly need it), but there ought to be strong feedback loops from industrial practice to advanced research. The short planning horizon of many in industry and the demands of the academic publication/tenure race conspire to divert attention and effort from some of the most critical problems.



During these years in academia, what did you learn about teaching programming to
beginners?

Bjarne: The most concrete result of my years in academia (in addition to the obligatory academic papers) is a new textbook for teaching programming to people who have never programmed before, Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ [Addison-Wesley]. This is my first book for beginners. Before I went to academia, I simply didn’t know enough beginners to write such a book. I did, however, feel that too many software developers were very poorly prepared for their tasks in industry and elsewhere. Now I have taught (and helped to teach) programming to more than 1,200 beginners and I feel a bit more certain that my ideas in this area can scale.

A beginner’s book must serve several purposes. Most fundamentally, it must provide a good foundation for further learning (if successful, it will be the start of a lifelong effort) and also provide some practical skills. Also, programming—and in general software development— is not a purely theoretical skill, nor is it something you can do well without learning some fundamental concepts. Unfortunately, far too often, teaching fails to maintain a balance between theory/principles and practicalities/techniques. Consequently, we see people who basically despise programming (“mere coding”) and think that software can be developed from first principles without any practical skills. Conversely, we see people who are convinced that “good code” is everything and can be achieved with little more than a quick look at an online manual and a lot of cutting and pasting; I have met programmers who considered K&R “too complicated and theoretical.” My opinion is that both attitudes are far too extreme and lead to poorly structured, inefficient, and unmaintainable messes even when they do manage to produce minimally functioning code.



What is your opinion on code examples in textbooks? Should they include error/ exception checking? Should they be complete programs so that they can actually be compiled and run?

Bjarne: I strongly prefer examples that in as few lines as possible illustrate an idea. Such program fragments are often incomplete, though I insist that mine will compile and run if embedded in suitable scaffolding code. Basically, my code presentation style is derived from K&R. For my new book, all code examples will be available in a compilable form. In the text, I vary between small fragments embedded in explanatory text and longer, more complete, sections of code. In key places, I use both techniques for a single example to allow the reader two looks at critical statements.

Some examples should be complete with error checking and all should reflect designs that can be checked. In addition to the discussion of errors and error handling scattered throughout the book, there are separate chapters on error handling and testing. I strongly prefer examples derived from real-world programs. I really dislike artificial cute examples, such as inheritance trees of animals and obtuse mathematical puzzles. Maybe I should add a label to my book: “no cute cuddly animals were abused in this book’s examples.”

Source of Information : Oreilly - Masterminds of Programming

0 comments


Subscribe to Developer Techno ?
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner